The 2015 ThermoSense conference at SPIE DSS Sensing Technology + Applications
- Abstract Due: 6 October 2014
- Author Notification: 15 December 2014
- Manuscript Due Date: 23 March 2015
- Conference at Baltimore, Maryland, United States: 20 – 24 April 2015
Conference Chair: Sheng-Jen (Tony) Hsieh,, Texas A&M Univ. (United States)
Conference Co-Chair: Joseph N. Zalameda,, NASA Langley Research Ctr. (United States)
Call for Papers
ThermoSense is the oldest and largest international technical conference focused on scientific, industrial and general uses of infrared imaging, infrared temperature measurements, and image analysis.
Its regular printed proceedings are found in most scientific and engineering libraries, providing an unequaled depth and breadth of technical information and reference data. Further information regarding ThermoSense can be found at: www.thermosense.org
The ThermoSense conference promotes worldwide exchange of information about research, uses and applications of infrared (IR) imaging technology. This includes infrared thermography and thermal infrared sensing (MWIR/LWIR), as well as NIR, SWIR imaging and measuring instruments.
ThermoSense encompasses technical papers, workshops and short-courses. Over the past 37 years, these activities have included topics from the fundamentals of infrared imaging and measurements to virtually all infrared research and applications.
Special emphasis has been on problem solving and turning new developments into standard practices.
This year, we will have special sessions on (1) monitoring, characterization, and inspection of large civil structures; and (2) multispectral/hyperspectral infrared imaging research, development and applications.
Thermal/infrared related papers are solicited in the areas listed below, and are also welcome in other areas.
- aircraft NDT
- process monitoring
- aging aircraft
- spacecraft and satellites.
- predictive maintenance – electrical
- predictive maintenance – mechanical
- automotive NDT
- process monitoring – automation
- testing, measurement QA, R&R and validation.
- energy conservation and energy efficiency
- construction quality control
- roof moisture surveying
Detection of gas and other leaks
- pipelines, oil fields, offshore platforms, refineries
- gas pumping stations, gasoline stations
- UXO: unexploded ordinance.
Environmental and Agricultural Monitoring
- agriculture and water conservation
- fish and wildlife migration
- pollution and storm water monitoring
- remote detection and environmental sensing.
- quality control
- temperatures of animals at slaughter
- foreign object detection and characterization.
- transportation – roads, bridges, airports, harbors, reservoirs, and dams
- energy – nuclear, wind, solar, fossil fuels power plants.
IR Image Fusion Applications
- biological and medical
- field security
- process monitoring
- structural analysis.
Manufacturing and Processing Industries
- composites industry
- glass and ceramics
- metals processing
- pulp and paper
- semiconductors and microelectronics
- quality control and predictive maintenance applications.
Materials Evaluation and NDT
- fatigue analysis
- sonic IR
- thermal properties of materials
- thermal stress analysis (TSA).
- health screening and diagnostics
- veterinary applications.
NDT (Nondestructive Testing)
- composite materials and structures (e.g. wind turbine, aircraft)
- subsurface flaws
- metallic structures
- underground anomalies
- electronic components.
Power Generation and Distribution
- nuclear, wind, and solar power plants
- field measurement issues
- power plant heat-rate efficiency
- electrical and mechanical P/PM.
Research and Development
- Terahertz imaging (THz)
- multi-spectral/high-spectral imaging
- enhanced spatial resolution
- enhanced time resolution
- image interpretation
- medical applications
- thermal modeling, CFD and FEA.
- disease screening
- search and rescue (fire, snow, etc.)
- law enforcement
- surveillance in civilian applications (e.g. UAV applications).
In case of multiple submissions, the Program Committee reserves the right to allow only one oral presentation per author group while transferring the others to the poster session. During the Symposium, authors are expected to attend their respective sessions to enable interaction with the audience.
Unless otherwise requested by authors, authors and abstracts will be posted at: http://www.thermosense.org
Selected papers will be recommended for publication in related SPIE journals such as Optical Engineering and Journal of Electronic Imaging.
In addition, one paper will be selected for a Best Paper award and student-authored papers will be eligible for a Best Student Paper award. Limited funds are available to support student attendance at the conference.
Exhibitor Vendor Sessions
What’s New in Infrared Imaging Hardware and Software?
(Presentations by equipment and service vendors)
This session is now in its 11th year and has become very popular. This venue provides an early opportunity for exhibitors to showcase their latest technology and products to the ThermoSense and IR community, prior to the opening of the exhibits.
This also enables the technical conference attendees to better prioritize their activities when visiting the exhibits. It is a casual meeting with ample time for questions and answers. Your company must be an exhibitor at DSS15 to be part of this event.
Moderators: Herbert Kaplan, Honeyhill Technical Company; Andres E. Rozlosnik, SI Termografía Infrarroja
If you are interested in participating, or have more questions, please contact:
Herbert Kaplan, firstname.lastname@example.org or Andres Rozlosnik, email@example.com
- Andrea Acosta, Colbert Infrared Services (United States)
- Nicolas Avdelidis, National Technical Univ. of Athens (Greece)
- Paolo Bison, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (Italy)
- Jeff R. Brown, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Univ. (United States)
- Douglas Burleigh, La Jolla Cove Consulting (United States)
- K. Elliott Cramer, NASA Langley Research Ctr. (United States)
- Ralph B. Dinwiddie, Oak Ridge National Lab. (United States)
- Herbert Kaplan, Honeyhill Technical Co. (United States)
- Timo T. Kauppinen, VTT Technical Research Ctr. of Finland (Finland)
- Dennis H. LeMieux, Siemens Power Generation, Inc. (United States)
- Monica Lopez Saenz, IRCAM GmbH (Germany)
- Xavier P. Maldague, Univ. Laval (Canada)
- Gary L. Orlove, FLIR Systems, Inc. (United States)
- Beata Oswald-Tranta, Montan Univ. Leoben (Austria)
- G. Raymond Peacock, Temperatures.com, Inc. (United States)
- Piotr Pregowski, Pregowski Infrared Services (Poland)
- Ralph A. Rotolante, Vicon Enterprises Inc. (United States)
- Andres E. Rozlosnik, SI Termografía Infrarroja (Argentina)
- Morteza Safai, The Boeing Co. (United States)
- Takahide Sakagami, Kobe Univ. (Japan)
- Steven M. Shepard, Thermal Wave Imaging, Inc. (United States)
- Sami Siikanen, VTT Technical Research Ctr. of Finland (Finland)
- Gregory R. Stockton, Stockton Infrared Thermographic Services, Inc. (United States)
- Vladimir P. Vavilov, Tomsk Polytechnic Univ. (Russian Federation)
- Xiong Yu, Case Western Reserve Univ. (United States)
Additional Conference Information
Steering Committee Emeritus Members: Ermanno G. Grinzato, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (Italy); Sven-Åke Ljingberg, Univ. of Gäyle (Sweden); Robert Madding, FLIR Systems (USA); John R. Snell, Snell Infrared (USA).